3/13/2013

Skillet Cornbread

I'm not normally a huge cornbread fan...I just never liked it! But my dear hubby is a cornbread addict. So I resolved myself to finding a recipe I could stomach. And then I found this recipe! Not only can I stomach it, I'm now a cornbread believer :) Nothing says southern like a warm plate of cornbread with some pinto beans. And of course, this must be baked in an iron skillet...



Ingredients:
2-3 tsp bacon grease
2 c. buttermilk
1 large egg
1 3/4 c. cornmeal (I use self-rising)
If you don't use self-rising cornmeal you will also need:
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Coat the bottom and sides of skillet with bacon grease. Heat the skillet in the oven. While the skillet is heating, in a medium-size bowl whisk the buttermilk and egg together. Add the cornmeal and stir well. *If not using self-rising cornmeal whisk in the baking powder, soda, and salt.* Pour batter into the hot skillet. Bake the bread for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and immediately place the cornbread upside-down on a plate. Serve immediately while it is still hot!

Now for the great debate...to sugar or not to sugar :) My husband is strictly anti-sugar in cornbread while I don't mind a tsp or so. This is entirely up to you and your taste preferences. For variety you can add jalapeƱos or corn. And don't forget that you never wash an iron skillet with soap! Simply wash with hot water (use salt to scrub).

No comments:

Post a Comment